I am a firm believer that everyone should include Pilates in their fitness regime (especially my 3 pilates moves for weight loss below)! The question is, how do we encourage a skeptical person to not only add Pilates to their already busy schedule, but see how Pilates strengthens everything they do in their life, in and outside of the gym? I didn’t always see it that way—I was the athlete and personal trainer before I started the amazing journey with Pilates.
As my practice in Pilates training grew, I realized how I wanted every one of my personal training clients to start Pilates to strengthen their fitness. So I began educating them on the
Top 6 benefits of Pilates for weight loss.
- Increases muscle strength and tone. Your abdominal muscles, lower back, hips and buttocks (the ‘core muscles’ of your body) all remain contracted and engaged during a Pilates workout. This constant tension helps keep the core muscles lean and build better endurance and strength.
- Improves posture. No matter what your daily activity, whether you’re cooking, brushing your teeth, carrying groceries, Pilates makes you more aware of your ability to pull your stomach in and pull your shoulders down for good posture and spinal alignment. There is an attention and focus required in doing the exercises smoothly, a focus that changes your movement awareness even beyond the class session.
- Reinforces strong, mobile joints. Pilates elongates and strengthens your muscles, improving muscle elasticity and joint mobility. This means less risk for weak or stiff joints, and it helps ward off arthritis.
- Improves mobility. Doing exercises on the reformer helps elongate your muscles and increase your range of motion. The more frequently you practice Pilates, the better your mobility will be. Consistent practice can help improve range of motion, which can help your body feel more flexible and even improve your performance in other workouts
- Conditions the whole body. Every part of the body, from head to toe, gets a workout from Pilates, and all are equally trained. Your entire musculature is evenly balanced and conditioned, helping you enjoy daily activities and sports with greater ease, better performance and less risk of injury.
- Increases weight loss. Pilates exercises are a great way aid in your weight loss journey to burn fat that accumulates on our waist, hips and muscles.
Some people contend that their day-to-day schedule, combined with their current cardio and strength training regimen leaves no time for Pilates. The reality is, however, you have time for what you prioritize. In truth, Pilates can and should supplement your current training program, as it does wonders to stabilize the core, improve brain-body connection and increases weight loss. Not to mention it builds a beautiful, toned-all-0ver body!
Now that you have the WHY Pilates, check out the best moves below to help you reach your weight loss goals! 3 Pilates Moves for Weight Loss
Laying face up, lift one leg up while the other is outstretched and level with the floor. Try to lift your leg as high as possible without lifting your back. Lift the leg slowly 10 times, then repeat with the other leg.
In this exercise it is crucial to have concentration and balance. First, lay on your side with your head supported by your arm, and legs outstretched one over the other.
Lift the leg up, totally stretched; while doing so contract the abdominal muscles and avoid arching your back.
Another position you can use, is supporting your hands on the floor, extend the leg straight out so that it creates a uniform, straight line with the torso.
For this position, you will need to lay on your side, with your elbow bent to help your back stay straight. Move the legs straight up from the hips; this helps maintain balance and protect the lumbar region. Try not to move the hips or the back- the only thing you will move is the leg, completely outstretched.