These days, it is almost impossible to get away from sitting at a computer for extended periods of time and constantly looking at our smartphones. We are checking email, scanning through social media, typing at work, researching school projects and don’t forget online shopping! Unfortunately, this seated position, along with physical inactivity, can wreak havoc on one’s posture. Some muscles get tight, while other muscles are stretched and weakened. Constant stress causes faulty postures to become the norm—this may include a forward head, rounded shoulders, and an anterior pelvic tilt from tight hip flexors. Ultimately, the end result can be
| So, what can you do to prevent injuries from sitting too much?
|Our recommended posture stretches:
1. Chin Tuck – Slowly draw your head back and hold for 5-10 seconds.
2. 3-Way Neck Stretch – Hold each stretch for 30 seconds each.
3. Doorway Pectoral Stretch – hold for 30 seconds.
4. Scapular Retractions – Draw your shoulder blades back and downward. Imagine you’re putting each shoulder blade “into” the opposite hip pocket.
5. Hip Flexor Stretch – hold for 30 seconds on each leg.
6. Glute Bridges – 2 sets of 10 reps.