Golden milk is a drink that originated in India and has roots in the practice of Ayurveda. The traditional recipe is basic and consists mainly of ground turmeric whisked into warm milk. This recipe includes a few more warming ingredients and uses a mix of organic almond and coconut milk. This recipe takes about 5 minutes to whip up and serves two people!
Golden milk is touted as a “superfood elixir” of sorts thanks to the main spice being turmeric. Turmeric is considered a superfood because of the naturally occurring curcumin found within its genetic makeup. Curcumin is known to hold anti-inflammatory qualities, and modern research shows curcumin to be antimicrobial and can have anticancer effects. While turmeric is a very healthy ingredient, lets not forget about the health benefits of the addition ingredients in this recipe like ginger and cinnamon which are both known to be antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory (also, delicious). This gut healthy latte is the perfect way to start or end your day- there is no caffeine which makes it a great option to cozy up with at the end of a ling day.
Side note: this recipe includes black pepper! Ground black pepper has been shown to help the body absorb the curcumin that turmeric provides, helping your body to assimilate and use all that gut healing and anti-inflammatory goodness to the fullest advantage! If using light canned coconut milk, adding in one teaspoon of coconut oil will help your body assimilate the turmeric as well due to it being fat-soluble (meaning your body needs fat along with turmeric in order to break it down and absorb its beneficial properties). If you use full fat canned coconut milk, no need to add the coconut oil! Feel free to add some collagen to the recipe for a bonus protein boost.
Keep in mind, all ingredients should be organic and unsweetened. Now… onto the ingredients and recipe!
- 1 1/2 Cups Canned Light Organic Coconut Milk (look for some with no thickening agents, so coconut milk should be the only ingredient listed in the list)
- 1 1/2 Cups Unsweetened Plain Organic Almond Milk
- 1 1/2 tsp Ground Organic Turmeric (Can add more for a stronger, earthier flavor)
- 1/4-1/2 tsp Ground Organic Ginger
- 1 Whole Cinnamon Stick (Can sub 1/4 tsp Ground Organic Cinnamon)
- 1 Pinch Ground Organic Black Pepper
- 1-2 tsp Organic Coconut Oil (only if using light coconut milk)
- 2 tsp Organic Maple Syrup (or alternative sweetener of choice)
- Collagen (Optional)
- In a small pot, combine all ingredients, except the cinnamon stick, over medium heat until combined.
- Stir in the cinnamon stick. Continue to heat and whisk ingredients frequently until hot, but not boiling. This should take about 3-4 minutes.
- Remove from heat and taste. Adjust flavor as needed by adding more turmeric, ginger, pepper, cinnamon, or sweetener.
- Serve immediately (makes two servings), and enjoy!