At Premier Fitness Camp, we pride ourselves on being a “diabetic friendly” diet plan that has helped many of our clients bring their blood sugar down to healthy levels or even better, get off of their diabetic medication completely!
The good news is, you don’t have to be at PFC Fitness Camp to start taking charge of your diabetes. Read on for some initial tips to help keep your blood sugar balanced and 7 diabetic-friendly snacks to stabilize blood sugar throughout the day.
There are several key factors that help stabilize blood sugar. One, staying on a timed eating schedule, eating every 2 1/2 to 3 hours during the day paired with smaller meals. This will help keep the blood sugar balanced and avoid hypoglycemic dips that many diabetics experience.
Always have a protein with your carbohydrate or a healthy fat. This is so important for diabetics. This will help you stay more satiated and avoid a spike in blood sugar.
7 diabetic-friendly snacks to stabilize blood sugar
1. All Natural Peanut Butter or Almond Butter with an Apple
(1 Tbsp. with an apple= 180 calories) (25g carbs, 4g protein, 9g fat)
2. String cheese with whole grain crackers (7)
190 calories (20g carbs, 12g protein, 6g fat)
3. Greek yogurt (1/2 cup) with 1/2 cup Berries of choice and 2 Tbsp. low sugar granola
180 calories (27.5g carbs, 16.5g protein, 1.5g fat)
4. Low fat Cottage Cheese 1/2 c. with 1/2 cup fruit of choice like Peaches, pears, or berries
160-180 calories (12g carbs, 16g protein, 2.2g fat)
5. All Natural Peanut Butter or Almond Butter with 2 Brown Rice Cakes
210 calories (30g carbs, 5.5g protein, 8g fat)
6. 1 Slice Ezekiel Bread toasted with 1/4 Avocado spread
140 calories (18g carbs, 4.7g protein, 5.2g fat)
7. 1 Cup Kashi Go Lean cereal with 1 Cup Almond Milk
240 calories, (42g carbs, 13g protein)
If the fat isn’t a healthy fat and it is low but the protein is high, this is good for blood sugar balance. Or if the protein is low but its a healthy fat and is a bit higher like 9-12gm then that helps stabilize blood sugar as well. Eating smaller meals throughout the day, and combining your foods is a fantastic way to feel completely satisfied all day long, rid of sugar cravings and balance out those blood sugar and energy levels!