1 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
3 C. thinly sliced spanish onion
3/4 Tsp. freshly ground pepper (divided)
1/4 Tsp. salt (divided)
1lb lean ground pork
1 Tbs. finely chopped spanish green olives (such as manzanilla)
2 Tsp. minced garlic
2 Tsp. Pimenton de la Vera or Hungarian paprika
1/4 C. reduced-fat mayonnaise or greek yogurt
2 Tsp. freshly grated lemon zest
1 Tbs. lemon juice
pinch of saffron
1/4 C. shredded manchego or monterey jack cheese
2 whole jarred piquillo peppers or jarred pimientos halved lengthwise
1. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, 1/4 teaspoon pepper and 1/8 teaspoon salt. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally until soft and translucent, about 10 minutes. Set aside half the onion for topping and finely chop the other half.
2. Preheat grill to medium
3. Place the chopped onion in a large bowl; add pork, olives, garlic, paprika, the remainng 1/2 teaspoon pepper and 1/8 teaspoon salt. Gently combine without over-mixing, until evenly incorporated. Form into 4 equal patties, about 1/2 inch thick.
4. Combine mayonnaise, lemon zest, lemon juice and saffron in small bowl.
5. Oil the grill rack. Grill burgers turning once, until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the center registers 165°F. 10-12 minutes total. Top with cheese and cook until it’s melted. About 1 minute more.
6. Assemble the burgers with the lemon-saffron mayonnaise, some of the reserved onions and a half a Piquillo or pimiento pepper.
Calories: 164 (1 burger patty)
Fat: 5 grams